Established in 1860, Joseph Blackshaw’s Bakers and Confectioners was a favourite spot for local residents.
Originally based at 42 Hillgate, Blackshaw’s has now been taken over by local caterers, Pure Innovations and re-located to Stockport’s historic market place as part of Staircase House.
Blackshaw’s holds particular significance in Stockport due to the Blackshaw family’s links with St Mary’s Church.
Joseph Blackshaw was a warden of St Mary’s Church during the late 19th Century, as well as being a Borough Councillor around this time. In 1897 Joseph and his brother Thomas Blackshaw, both baptised at the church, funded a new bell making St Mary’s total number of bells 10.
Blackshaw’s Café is located in Stockport’s Market Place serving hot and cold snacks, lunches and drinks throughout the year.